Monday, December 5, 2011

The Year With No Hands



It finally happened. I was unpacking two of my favorite nativity scenes (I like to collect them) and each of them had a broken piece. Each of them -- when I so carefully and lovingly wrapped them before packing them -- ended up being caught up in the wear and tear of storage.



The moment I discovered the damage I went off in search of glue to repair them - all to no avail. GLUE went on my shopping list. In the meantime, I found myself drawn to the curious creatures as they took on a new life of their own.


The Shepherd from my Jim Shore set now has no right hand. Not only that -- his staff lays complacently on the ground beside him, herding no sheep, caring for no lost lambs. It is very sad.


The Wise Man from my Willow Tree set has no hands at all. His gift sits on the ground. He has nothing to offer. While his original stance was one of worship it now looks as if he hangs his head in sadness.


I made what some might think an odd decision this morning. I decided to not fix either of them. I picked them up - in all their brokenness - and placed them in their rightful places near their respective Christ Child. I realized how perfect they both are as they sit in the midst of their holy scenes and serve as reminders: we are to go out and care for the lost and hurting; we are to offer our gifts as we worship the King. It's time to quit sitting back and allowing others to do the work, it is our time, it is our turn.


God is so wonderfully creative in finding ways to communicate. Even through simple Christmas decorations, God has reminded me to worship, to give, to serve and to love the lost and hurting.


It's funny how God can do that isn't it? I guess what matters is what we decide to do with God's messages when we hear them ... we can "glue" things back together and let others handle it or we can get out there and get our own hands dirty. I think I know what God would prefer ...


Enjoying the Journey,

Pastor Debra


Rev. Debra Gaddy

Associate Pastor

First United Methodist Church

Hendersonville, North Carolina


No comments:

Post a Comment