So here is what is on my mind today: God's Word reminds us to be joyful always. My heart is drawn to the book of Nehemiah - the Old Testament (imagine that!) when Nehemiah reads the Law to the people for hours and hours and the people stand that entire time, listening, praising and worshiping. He reminds the people it is a sacred day, a time to rejoice because the joy of the Lord is your strength. (NEH. 8:10)
I think too often we forget intense joy. That seems an odd pairing, doesn't it? Yet I think in the seriousness and hardness of life, God creates within us an innate ability of deep, inner joy that only the wounds and scars we carry allow us a deep appreciation of God's love - journeying with us, reminding us we are never alone.
I have been asked how I can be so joyful. Have I never known hardship?
I answer it is because of intense pain in life that I know deep, inner joy and strength in the Lord.
Enjoyed a great week of vacation this past week ... like my beach toes? I discovered that far too many people take things far too seriously EVEN on vacation. A friend and I also got some awesome hats, wigs and glasses. (MY wig was lime green) We wore them to the beach one day. I sat there for the longest time innocently reading my book. I had so much fun behind my big, blingy sunglasses reading (and watching!) as people walked by. I would say "hello" as people tried so hard not to stare, stare, stare ...
Then there was my goofy friend ... she was out in the surf and walking about. She ended up writing in the sand. At one point she went around writing "Thank you, God." At first one lady was drawn to her bright pink hair but then she found herself drawn to what she was writing in the sand and my friend explained she was thankful for the beautiful day and was feeling so joyful and having fun. The lady ended up with tears in her eyes and my friend said, "Let me give you a hug." And she did.
As the lady started to walk away my friend said, "I bet you didn't expect to be blessed today by someone with pink hair!" And the sweet lady burst out laughing and told her she had absolutely made her day -- and I would imagine filled it with the JOY of the Lord.
It is a hard world out there my friends. We can make it easier by living a more joyful existence -- it is a choice, you know. That's what's on my mind today, thought I'd share it with you.
Enjoying the Journey,
Pastor Debra
Reverend Debra Gaddy
Associate Pastor
First United Methodist Church
Hendersonville, North Carolina
No comments:
Post a Comment