Saturday, February 26, 2011

Me, WORRY?

Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you ... strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
- Matthew 6:27-30,33

So I've been working on my sermon all weekend - preaching on WORRYING this Sunday and worrying myself to death over it. Some good sermon that's going to be. Here I am preaching on telling my congregation to not worry and I'm about to drive myself NUTS - trying to get it just right - but then again, I think I'm that way each week.

This preaching stuff is serious stuff. What if I say the wrong thing? (I worry) What if I say something that offends someone? (I worry) What if I say something that runs someone off? (I worry) Good grief!

I am becoming my mother! Sweet mama ... I used to call her up and tease her. I would tell her I had something she could add to her "three-page worry list" She had worrying down to a fine science. But listen to me - I can't talk ... what is it called: worry-wart. That's what Granny Masters used to say: "Don't be a worry-wart!"

And then I remember the above text, stop and ask forgiveness - which I have to do on a regular basis (I'm sorry to say). It is about God after all - not about me. More of you, Oh Lord, less of me ... May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. - Psalm 19:14.
And I remember mama's iris' - ok so they're not lilies - but they are another one of God's creations. They are so incredibly delicate - do you see the yellow one I inserted? That is artistry at work to see the yellow and white weave in and out and way the blooms curl about. Just think: God took the time to intricately weave such a thing of beauty in that blossom AND God didn't make just ONE color in the iris family - I know dad planted numerous colors for mama to be able to see out her window. Sweet mama died last Mother's Day, 2010 - and I think of her everytime I look at any part of God's creation because she LOVED the outdoors.


If God so loved the iris to make it so delicate, so beautiful and to make so many of its species - yet we are assured God loves us so much more ... how can we not be assured of God's love for us? So - stop worrying (even about the sermon). Which, by the way, I did quit worrying about - am excited about ... it is a journey for us all, but this journey to the pulpit is a big step each week and the day it becomes light and easy is the day I need to check my ego at the door.

Hey - I really hope to see you in worship tomorrow. Most especially - I pray you know you are God's beloved, even more so than the iris (as cool as a flower as it is!)

Enjoying the Journey,
Pastor Debra

First United Methodist Church
Hendersonville, North Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment